How to participate in a Tweetchat
How do I participate in a TweetChat?
1. Create a personal profile on Twitter
2. Visit www.tweetchat.com and connect your Twitter profile to the TweetChat website
3. Type in the hashtag you wish to follow (eg. #hcsmSA)
Tips to attending a tweetchat:
The moderator will take around 5-10 minutes to introduce the Tweetchat and topic of discussion. When entering the tweetchat, please introduce yourself as well as a company which you represent. If you are a patient, please include what condition you advocate for.
- Don’t be afraid to lurk. (Lurk, ie: just watch the conversations)
- Join as soon as you feel comfortable. Don’t lurk too long. I have had many newbies tell me they wish they would have joined sooner. The tweet chat communities are usually very welcoming. We love to help newbies so at least say hi!
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you are confused or simply don’t understand the question, speak up and ask!
- Don’t be afraid to connect with the tweet chat moderator before or after the chat if you have questions. If you feel uncomfortable during the chat then connect with the moderator or other leaders before or after the chat. If they have a Facebook group or other community join in and ask your questions. You’ll be surprised how approachable they are.
- Respect the community. Don’t dive in at the last minute and get frustrated that you don’t understand the topic. Respect the topic. If they’re talking about social media, don’t spend your hour on the tweet chat complaining about social media and why people should go offline. You probably won’t make a lot of friends with this method.
- Take time to do the double click after the chat. You can reap the greatest benefit of participation in tweet chats with the conversations you have between the scheduled tweet chats. I’ve seen amazing communities already being built in just a few short months by people who take the time to invest in other people.
- Learn the tools before the tweet chat starts. Here is a short video I did for newbies on how to use the www.tweetchat.com tool. Have a plan for how you are going to filter the specific hashtag. I like “TweetChat” as it enables you to easily filter, read and engage in the conversation. It presents only the tweets matching the desired hashtag.
- Add the hashtag associated with the tweet chat to the end of each tweet. If you use a tool like Tweet Chat it will do this for you automatically.
- TweetChats are public. Even though you may be using a tool such as “TweetChat” to filter the tweets, remember all of your tweets are public. They are still all showing on your Twitter timeline.
The Tweetchats are recorded on transcript by www.symplur.com and openly available for download.