In commemoration of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) 71st-anniversary celebration (#WHA71) the theme of this year’s Public Health Association of South Africa Conference (#PHASA2018) being held 10-12 September in the Free State on the banks of the Vaal river at the 4-star Khaya iBhubesi hotel is Health for All (#HealthforAll / #Health4All).
To help promote this inspiring global vision for Universal Health Coverage (UHC) Healthcare Social Media South Africa (#hcsmSA) and PHASA have joined forces to implement an influencer program to recognise and empower 5 local leaders who are utilising the web and social media to accelerate innovation as well as address health disparities. But what does Health for All actually mean?
The United Nations (UN) describes Health for All using Goal 3 alongside multiple sub-targets as a sustainable approach to ensuring healthy lives and well-being for everyone of all ages. The web is one tool we should be leveraging more effectively to promote that.
How can you make a difference?
The web has provided robust tools to empower each of us, however when it comes to promoting Health for All we need to use them very carefully. Disseminating false information to the public, for example, promotes negative behaviour and in some cases even panic when using a disease outbreak as an example. While we might still believe that our lives are only shaped by our real-life experiences the truth is that the virtual world plays an equally pivotal role. The #PHASA2018 healthcare social media influencer program has been specifically designed to enlighten these community leaders about what good digital citizenship is and how they can use it to advance healthcare.
The #PHASA2018 Influencer Program will provide the following to each successful candidate:
- Complimentary access to the PHASA conference
- Healthcare social media mentorship leading up to the PHASA conference courtesy of #hcsmSA
- A leadership training workshop at the PHASA event and a certificate of completion for your resume
- Recognition from both PHASA and #hcsmSA on their websites and social media channels for your accomplishment
What are the judging criteria?
- Anyone, young or old can apply as long as they demonstrate a compelling passion for advancing healthcare using the web and social media (Patients, medical educators, doctors, students, nurses, NPO’s, IT developers, entrepreneurs are all invited)
- Must reside in South Africa
- Must be able to attend the conference in Parys, South Africa during 10-12 September 2018
(Travel and accommodation costs are not included in the scholarship award)
What do you need to do?
- Shape important, topically-driven conversations leading up to, during, and after the PHASA conference predominantly using Twitter as well as other social media channels
- Participate in PHASA’s online events such as the special #hcsmSA Twitter chats
- Disseminate PHASA news using Twitter during the conference to help expand their global and local reach
- Attend two online mentorship sessions and the conference workshop
- Commit to representing and upholding both the PHASA and #hcsmSA brands respectfully before, during
and after the event
Do you think you have what it takes to become a global healthcare social media influencer?
Use your social media powers for good and apply before the 10th of August 2018!
Download the application form here.
The conference transcript will be recorded by Symplur so remember to include the #PHASA2018 hashtag in all of your tweets!
Sponsorship opportunities are available! Ask us how
*Terms and conditions apply
The accreditation team may ask for information in addition to that requested on the application form. All organising parties involved reserve the right to withdraw influencer accreditation based on harmful representation or behaviour. E&O’s Apply. Disclaimer courtesy of Malcolm Lyons and Brivik Attorneys Inc. South Africa